The trials and triumphs in 35 years!
Posted on August 06 2017
Today, August 6th is my Birthday. Today I turn 35 years old. For some reason, this number is hard. I can't quite figure out why? Maybe because I'm officially in my mid 30's. Maybe I thought 35 would feel different? This number seemed so far away and yet it happened so fast? As a crazy, slightly wild mid 20 year old I was insecure. Insecure in my relationships, my job, my friendships, etc. I hadn't yet found "my" place or "my" calling. As I entered my 30's I had become a mother, a wife, and started to build a home. I began to find my purpose. In the last 5 years, my life and my passion's have changed. Doors have opened and my insecurities seem a little smaller. As I reflect on my 35 years, some things I've learned about myself and others have been valuable lessons. Today, I want to share a few of those things with you.
35 things I've learned in 35 years:
1. I've learned that surrounding yourself with driven, goal oriented people will motivate and inspire you.
2. I've learned how to be a good listener and keep an open mind.
3. I've learned that I get to choose who I spend my time with. I get to choose who takes up space in my life.
4. I've learned that worrying doesn't solve anything.
5. I've learned that jealousy is evil and is a waste of precious energy.
6. I've learned that being nice is easy. Smiling, waving and saying kind words is easy to do and can change someone's day.
7. I've learned that time with friends is valuable and I need to do it more often.
8. I've learned that mommy daughter dates are good for the soul.
9. I've learned that self-improvement is a 24 hour, 365 days a year jam. It's constant. You have to work on it and better yourself every day.
10. I've learned that time management is a priority.
11. I've learned that I need to go to bed sooner. I stay up way too late. Sleep is crucial.
12. I've learned that just because everyone thinks it's best, it isn't always. Trust your heart. Trust your passion.
13. I've learned that if manicures and hair appointments make you feel fancy, then do it.
14. I've learned how to work hard. I've learned how to be creative in my work.
15. I've learned that obstacles stress me out and challenge me and grow me.
16. I've learned to not overreact. It doesn't help any situation.
17. I've learned to be confident and speak positive words in front of my girls.
18. I've learned how to supervise and what I expect in employees.
19. I've learned that a day without cell phone service revives the mind.
20. I've learned to drive a stick shift pickup like a boss.
21. I've learned that comparison is the thief of joy. Stay in your lane and hit the gas pedal.
22. I've learned that being a good mom is hard. I've let the guilt eat me up, but I've also learned that they are the most forgiving humans in the world.
23. I've learned that the little things matter the most. The hugs from my husband. The kisses from my girls. The small gestures that mean so much.
24. I've learned that being there for a friend no matter the circumstance is really what makes life most rewarding.
25. I've learned that I may never know how to swim and I'm okay with that.
26. I've learned that there is no such thing as too many boots. I'm probably going to buy the boots. It's a given.
27. I've learned that I need to work on balance. I have a long ways to go with that.
28. I've learned that it's okay to let the housework wait until tomorrow. It will still be there, although I wouldn't be sad if a house cleaning fairy stopped by.
29. I've learned that turning up the music to drown out fighting kids in the backseat is ok.
30. I've learned that if you can't stop thinking about it, it's worth your time and attention.
31. I've learned to pick my battles. Not every problem needs more attention than it deserves.
32. I've learned to not take things too seriously. Laugh and let go. Will we really be worrying about this in a day or two?
33. I've learned that success is merely made up in your mind. Believing you can achieve is the first step.
34. I've learned that my life is my choices. My destiny is my dreams. My goals are achievable and I will strive forward to reach them.
35. I've learned that I can do hard things.